Monday 10 September 2012

Narrabeen Girls Reunite


Well, we didn't get to sing 'Out amid the flannel flowers, bare plains swept by sea winds clean ....', our old school song.  But, the buzz of conversation on Wednesday 7 September indicated that we had plenty of other memories and news to share at the reunion to celebrate 50 years since we completed our secondary schooling at Narrabeen Girls High School. The picture shows part of the assemblage at H2O Restaurant on Pittwater Rd, Narrabeen, overlooking Narrabeen Lakes.



We agreed to reserve the first Wednesday in September for a similar reunion in the years to come, it being so much easier to keep in touch with the advent of emails.
 

Nearly 20 years ago I wrote the book Brainboxes about our days at Narrabeen. The starting point for the stories in that book was my class photograph for 1962. Most of the girls in that photo were also in my class when we started at NGHS in 1958. However, by the time I began my interviews, one of my former classmates had died in an accident and five could not be located for interviews, so some substitutes were made. Real names are not used for the stories. Twenty years later, most of us would tell or write a different story about ourselves, but I guess the chapters in the book are still useful as a snapshot of our times. The book is no longer available through the publisher, but I still have a few copies. If you’re interested, check out the Brainboxes page on my website http://www.louisewilson.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment