Tuesday 23 January 2018

The 'Banter Benefit' of Family History

The following exchange of emails epitomises the rewarding relationships you can discover and establish through family history research. Stephen and I are third cousins. We didn’t know each other 15 years ago and never dreamed the other existed. Now, every time I see an email arrive from him I smile in anticipation of his banter. Here's the latest example.

9 Jan 2018, 5.14 pm
Are you out there somewhere ?
Hello Louise,
I hope this email finds you well.
We haven't heard from you in such a long while and of course, we missed your Christmas 'letter' this year.
How the heck are you ?
Steve & Glenda [B….]

9 Jan 2018, 7.00 pm
Re: Are you out there somewhere ?
Hi there, B…. ‘cousins’
Yes, I’m still here, beavering away in South Melbourne. My last-minute-Louie message at Christmas left a few people off the list. Sorry!
Here’s the message, since you’re interested.
I hope you are both well.
L xx

9 Jan 2018 7.55 pm
Thank Goodness
Thank goodness you are OK Louise...
We were both really VERY concerned for you.
You have made us feel a part of your family with the Christmas message each year and when it didn't arrive we suspected the worst.
Enjoy the evening,
Your sooky cousins from Knoxfield.
S & G.

  










10 Jan 2018, 7.28 am
Re: Thank Goodness
Love your emojis!
In return - what’s your news?

11 Jan 2018, 9.12 am
Late News
Hello Dear Cousin,
We are not ignoring you... Glenda produced a Christmas message which was sent out last month and it is this that we would like to send you BUT; she can't find the file on her computer.
Please be patient while we look under and into everything in an attempt to find it.
Mr B.

17 Jan 2018, 9.55 am
Re: Late News
Still waiting!!

17 Jan 2018, 7.48 pm
Lateish News
Oh boy, do I hate picky cousins !
The next time you neglect to send me your 'yearly run-down' I'm saying nothing.
As it happens, I have put off reading your news until we can send you ours... Now is that fair or what?
In fact, it is a female thing which I am having to contend with, as it is you who didn't send me 'the news' in the first place and it is Glenda who lost ours.
Malcolm told us all that life was hard and he was right.
I sauntered past Glenda's study this morning and noticed her bashing out something on the word processor so I am hoping that the late edition will soon be available.
Keep cool, maintain a positive attitude,
Your loving cousin,
Stephen.

18 Jan 2018, 7.54 pm
Our 2017 Christmas Letter
Hi family,
Attached is a copy of the 2017 Christmas letter which I sent out to a few friends in December. However, today Steve added some photos and we thought you might like to take a look at our 2017 news.
Love to you all.
Glenda & Steve

22 Jan 2018, 11.52 am
Re: Our 2017 Christmas Letter
Well, that letter was worth waiting for. What a year you have had, what adventures. I’m envious of the travel and the sights, but not of the camping. Definitely not my cup of tea! The photos were amazing too. Thank you for letting me share your year.

22 Jan 2018, 1.52 pm
The Reading
OK, I just read your 2017 communiqué...
[His reaction to my personal news is now excluded] ... Several chapters beginning and others closed, what a circle you move in.
[Re my news of 2nd Edtn of the Forrester book] .. Glenda has been reading the Robert Forrester book and as was I, she is VERY impressed with the way you crafted it. She has told me that you may use this to create a novel and what a fabulous one you could make of it.
Glenda has gone into the Tennis today with her sister-in-law while I am left here to fend off the marauding Lorikeets, Crimson Rosellas and Currawongs who are intent on devouring our grape crop.
When I first met Glenda she was none too convinced about camping but my being a Queens Scout made the difference and she now spends only about 50% of the time worrying about becoming forever lost in the outback.
What fun we have!
Bye for now Louise,
Stephen x

No comments:

Post a Comment