Sunday 26 December 2021

One Million Words

Louise Wilson at South Melbourne Beach,
taking a break from writing


A writer's apprenticeship is the first million words, right? Just as driving a vehicle requires extensive hands-on experience behind the wheel to become a safe driver, it takes a lot of reading, thinking, training and sittting at a keyboard to learn the craft of writing.

But the rules for learning to drive don't fully apply to writing. No-one ever took fourteen years to learn to drive, surely! That's how long I've been honing my craft as a writer of the unique non-fiction genre of family history. (So I'm not counting the book 'Brainboxes', written in 1994.)

When I decided to check on my status as an apprentice writer (in all genres), I received the surprise of my life.  As 2021 draws to a close, I realise that I've long since graduated from my Ls _ to my Ps _ to my full-blown licence to write.
 
My word count goes to show the value of the BIGFAT maxim for all writers - 'Bum Is Glued, Fingers Are Typing'. Here are the overall figures:

My published non-fiction word count to date is 1,092,000:
  • 'Brainboxes', 1994 - 106,000
  • 'Pierssené, a Huguenot family of London', 2007 - 61,000
  • 'From Buryan to Bondi ....', 2008 - 112,000
  • 'Robert Forrester, First Fleeter', 2009 - 123,000
  • 'Paul Bushell, Second Fleeter', 2010 - 156,000
  • 'Southwark Luck .....', 2012 - 118,000 (Winner of Alexander Henderson Award)
  • 'Brothers in Arms, the Great War Letters of ......', 2015 - 169,000
  • 'Margaret Flockton: A Fragrant Memory', 2016 - 91,000 (Winner of Don Grant Award)
  • 'Sentenced to Debt: Robert Forrester, First Fleeter', 2020 - 156,000 (Winner of Don Grant Award)
Then there are my three fictional books, written as Louisa Valentine, totalling 220,000 words:
Still residing in my computer are many biographical works which have been substantially researched and drafted:
  • Richard Ridge
  • Robert Forrester's Children
  • Paul Bushell's Children
  • George Forrester
  • David Brown and his children
  • Flockton Family
  • George Boulton, Coach Master
  • Philip Boulton
And that's without counting all the published articles, speeches, book reviews and blog entries of recent years, or the various articles and chapters for text books written during my earlier career in the finance sector when I wrote as Louise Jackson.

WOW. I had no idea I'd been so busy.  The details for all my published books are on my website www.louisewilson.com.au  There you will see that most of my non-fiction books are available through BookPOD in Melbourne, while the Margaret Flockton book is available through Wakefield Press in Adelaide.

If you're one of my readers, thank you for your support and, of course, I'd love you to leave a feedback comment on the site where you purchased your book, or on Goodreads. 

Meanwhile, as another 'year of the pandemic' is upon us, please stay safe and well in 2022, with plenty of enjoyable reading to help you through your days and nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment