Tuesday 31 May 2011

Talk at Windsor Library, 12 October

I'm scheduled to give my talk 'Story-telling: Disinterring Early Convict Settlers of the Hawkesbury' at Windsor, NSW on 12 October.
Most family histories tell the bare bones of a life story - the 'birth, marriage, children and death' sequence of events - with a few anecdotes thrown in for good measure.
How did I find enough relevant material to write a 442 page book about Robert Forrester, a 430 page book about Paul Bushell, and a slightly shorter (forthcoming) book about Charles Homer Martin?
What kind of men did I discover them to be?
How did I find so much material that books about the Forrester and Bushell children and the family of David Brown will also be published, eventually!
How did I work out what to believe and what to discard from the masses of historical material?
What new insights emerged, about the Hawkesbury and about convicts in general?
All will be revealed at this session of the Hawkesbury Family History Group, beginning at 10am, at the Library on 12 October.

No comments:

Post a Comment