Sunday 24 October 2021

Writers Need and Love Reader Feedback

Every author knows the importance of feedback from their 'tribe' of readers. But where is my 'tribe'? It's scattered everywhere, especially as I write under two names: Louise Wilson for non-fiction (which wins awards for family history writing) and Louisa Valentine for fiction (just getting started). 

In both spheres I write for readers of the type of books I like to read myself. These tend to be readers of my daughter's age (mid-forties) and my age (Boomers). Books about lives and people, set in places I know and understand. When asked if I plan to write my autobiography, given the life I've led myself, my answer is 'It's coming out in dribs and drabs in my novels'. But how much is true and how much did I make up for the purposes of a good story? That would be telling! I like a secret or two.

Feedback for my work is 'a little bit here, a little bit there' - on Amazon, on Goodreads, on numerous Facebook pages and Facebook Messenger, on BookPOD, via email. Then there are all those 'missing in action' readers who might enjoy your book but don't have time to tell you before they rush on, tempted by the next lolly in their book lolly shop. And all those 'missing in action' fellow writers who don't return the favour after you've read their book and provided positive feedback to help them get started. 

Wishing to consolidate everything in one place, I've resorted to my website as a gathering place. For example, here's some feedback on my first novel 'Retreat into Paradise', a story set in beautiful Yea, near Melbourne. I love the dry humour in some of these comments:

  • Hannah becomes a caretaker, of Phillip Boulton's country property, in country Victoria. With Pat, the beautiful neighbour, staking her 'claim' to Phillip, Hannah tries to hide her feelings. Does Phillip feel the same? Will Hannah's past catch-up with her? An excellent story, with twists and turns that keep you guessing. I started it Christmas night and finished it Boxing Day, so easy was it to read, loved it. Lilian Magill, Amazon

  • Romantic fiction is not normally what I read but I was already familiar with Louisa Valentine’s writing as Louise Wilson, author of some very acclaimed family histories so I gave it a go and it was well worth it. Hannah Stockton, like her creator, researches and writes family histories. Reeling from an abusive relationship and needing a quiet retreat to write her new history, she accepts a position as caretaker of a small cattle property just outside of Melbourne. The owner is successful banker, Phillip Boulton, who is not only attractive but a conscientious, modern week end farmer. But, alas, he is very sensitive about a mysterious blot on his own family story. His next door neighbour, Pat, has taught him a great deal about farming, she is extremely attractive, and is obviously ready to take the relationship further. Hannah is a city girl but ready to learn about the needs and habits of the somewhat intimidating cattle and Phillip is a patient instructor. Hannah’s ex partner is determined to find her and renew their relationship. So the scene is set. Louisa/Louise herself is not only a family historian but also has a background in economics and finance and she obviously knows a bit about domestic violence and farming. There are enough issues in the story to make it a good choice for book clubs and as a family and local historian myself I would recommend it to anyone interested in these activities. PLUS it is a jolly good story! Shirley Evans, Goodreads 

  • I loved 'Retreat into Paradise', it brought back so many memories for me of the beautiful farm. I enjoyed the characters in the book and all of the twists in the story. Karen Wilson, FB

  • I really enjoyed your book. I think it will appeal to both genealogists and others equally. Perhaps a little predictable in parts, but definitely made me chuckle in parts with some of your family history references. It was a great holiday read. Well done. Jenny Scammell, FB Messenger 
     
  • I enjoyed this romance for many reasons including its wit and humour. It has the requisite amount of sexual tension as well as some very interesting aspects of life on a cattle property. The setting is rural Victoria, a small enough state to allow primary producers to commute to Melbourne with relative ease. The writer uses this circumstance to explore the diverse experience of country and city life. Her male protagonist manages to straddle the two worlds with convincing allure as a love interest. The female, first person protagonist, is from a completely different world adding more interesting plot points to the story. There has never been a better time to read an enjoyable romance with substantive extra ingredients. Frances, Goodreads 

  • A jolly good read and once started I found it very hard to put down. It is beautifully written and the story very believable. Marilyn Thrupp, Goodreads 

  • I am half way through your book and loving it! As a 50 year old Yea local, I particularly enjoy the local references- Hamilton Island, Horace the fencer, the Rotary Club Art Show, a young Pat Drysdale, the local hospital with the helipad opposite and the Yea PS Skipping Team! I think it would be a great Book Club book for locals- so much discussion, I have recommended it to everyone! Well done! Meagan Callander, Facebook 
     
  • It was a very interesting read and even though I suspected a happy ending from the beginning I enjoyed the education you provided on the way. Termed fiction but containing so much fact! I purchased ginger beer and ale this morning and enjoyed my first “Gunner”, delicious. Maybe I can keep my glass full of that instead of white wine... I called it pain relief. Truly, I loved the education on cows and the behaviour of cattle in general too. Also your sensible gardening advice made me smile as did the plant references. I had an idea you may kill off the hero with a twist somewhere, but he survived to ride into the sunset! Loved it all and am now about to find your next one. Thank you. Julie Simpson, email

I'll be talking about 'Retreat into Paradise' at the Yea Library on 8 December 2021. Copies of the book are available through  https://books2read.com/Retreat-into-Paradise. And of course, don't forget to leave a 'review' comment on the site where you purchase, and on Goodreads!  Authors love to hear from their readers.

P.S. My second novel is 'Trading Secrets'. And my non-fiction book 'Sentenced to Debt: Robert Forrester, First Fleeter' has just won this year's Don Grant Award.

No comments:

Post a Comment